Friday, February 17, 2012

Busy Week...

So, I really meant to post again earlier in the week. Alas, it is Friday and I have yet to post anything. This week was quite crazy with student teaching, so I apologize for not being around too much! I think last year I got pretty spoiled with my second internship. I only had to go all day twice a week, and I was in a very small town. The kids were different there; they had manners and actual respect for the teachers.

Now I'm back in my home town. I knew it would be rough because it was starting to get that way back when I was in school here. I already knew if I ended up working here that Michael and I would not allow our kids to go to this district, but make sure we could afford private school. So, I knew what I was getting myself into. Or so I thought, this has been crazy!

Last week, on Friday, I was taking the students back to the classroom on my own after lunch, which was no big deal at all. Mrs. Koerner had to stay and talk to someone, and I'd already gotten really comfortable in the classroom and with these students. However, as I'm getting to the door to unlock it, I see a girl intentionally kick one of the guys in the privates. I could not believe it! She was already in A LOT of trouble for other offenses. She was already being sent off to alternative school, and then on-campus police officer was going to have to give her an assault charge. Her parents ended up withdrawing her that afternoon, and I think we were all relieved.

Along with that, we were having problems with another girl, we'll just call her "T." She has a problem calling people mean things, and other girls have no problem being mean back. We gave her a big lecture, along with the other girls, on Tuesday, but apparently it did not help. Wednesday when I was about to leave after school, I realized that my lunch bag was missing. I leave it in the same place and I've never had any problems. However, I could not find it anywhere. Mrs. Koerner said she would look again, and then interrogate the students the next day (yesterday).

So, it's the period after lunch and we go into the hallway to monitor. Sure enough another teacher (who knew the situation) found T with the lunch bag on her lap by her locker. So, not only did she take it BUT she brought it back to school where people would see it. We will all pretty upset about that to begin with, but then there was a lunch in the bag when I got it back. It was not mine, and apparently it was not hers either. However, she continued to lie about the whole thing.

Finally by the end of the day we got out of her that she stole another lunch from the band hall yesterday morning. For some reason she put the lunch in my bag and then left the boys' bag in another room. (The poor kid was so upset, thinking he wouldn't get to eat, and his mom had to leave work to bring the poor thing some lunch money). She assured us that she didn't eat the lunch like that would make us feel better. Ultimately, we all still can't stop laughing about it, and I really just don't understand why I kid would steal a lunch box to begin with!

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy hearing my interesting student teaching stories!
Have a great Friday!
-Tiffany

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a teacher but I work with kiddos with behavior problems (like the kiddos you mentioned!). So, I know how hilarious & also how frustrating it can be. Gotta love 'em.

    ReplyDelete