Thursday, March 15, 2012

San Antonio - Day 1

As some of you may have read, Michael and I had originally intended to go to Disney World. Since we can fly for free thanks to my brothers' jobs (they do payroll for Southwest Airlines) we would only have to pay for the package for hotel and parking admission. Unfortunately, as it got closer the flights filled up. Since we have to fly standby in order to fly free, it quickly became obvious that we were not going to be able to go. To say we were bummed was definitely an understatement. However, there wasn't much we could do! About a week before our spring break I was thinking about things we might be able to do over spring break instead, and then it came to me. Sure enough, great minds think alike, because Michael was thinking about the same thing; San Antonio!

We had both been when we were younger. I moved to Texas when I was seven, and I'd say my family probably went when I was about nine. While I remember going, and a couple family stories we will never forget, I didn't remember much of the details so we thought it would be perfect to go again. So, he came in from school Thursday night since he doesn't have classes on Friday, and I worked all day Friday and then came home and packed (last minute, of course). We got some sleep, and then left around ten on Saturday. I could tell my dad was stressing out, and that did amuse me a little. I'm not sure how he is going to survive when I'm married and no longer living with them.

The drive should have taken about five hours. According to the GPS we should have been there by around 2:46. However, we hit a lot of traffic, especially in Austin which was not surprising at all despite UT having their spring break next week. So with traffic and stops, and then an accident right inside San Antonio, we ended up getting to the hotel at about 5:30. It felt like an incredibly long drive! We made one stop too, where the worker proceeded to tell me I looked just like his niece and asked if he could take a picture of me, which I found pretty creepy. Needless to say, we got out of there pretty quickly!

The hotel was nice though, especially for the $49 a night price we got it for. We hung around the hotel for awhile, both tired from the drive in. At about seven we decided to go get some dinner. We headed for a Chilis since we had a giftcard, and ended up at the mall, which was a nightmare. The Chilis was part of the mall, and we had to wait about thirty minutes outside. Naturally it was the coldest it was the whole time we were there. Luckily, we had a wonderful view of the riverwalk while we waited.

We finally got seated, but the whole experience was a nightmare as well. We only saw our actual waitress once, while another girl helped us the whole time. There was an annoying group of college kids beside us cussing every other word, and they got Michael's order wrong and then took about fifteen minutes to fix it. It was the worst restaurant experience I've ever had and we were thrilled to get out of there. We decided to avoid the mall from that point on, but that didn't really work out too well...

That was pretty much our day one! Sorry I didn't take anymore pictures, but all of the other posts will have many, MANY more! (Once I make sure to get the ones off of Michael's camera as well) Day two will come tomorrow! Happy Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment